Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internetwireless,sci.electronics.repair

Default spare wheels

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 10:28:45 +1100, Chris Jones
wrote:

On 27/02/2017 02:21, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

You're never gonna need one...until about a week after you
dispose of it.
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

That is the way it is for everything. I worked at a plant that was
built about 1965. At that time there was a spare part that looked like
a big auger. It was about 10 feet long and a foot in diameter. It laid
around in the way up to about 2005. We got a new plant manager that had
us get rid of all things we had not had to replace in the last 5 years.
Out went the auger. Wouldn't you know it , a month later it was needed
to replace a bad one. Same as with another piece of equipment . I
forgot what it was, something like a 20 HP motor and gear box. It was
sold as scrap. Before it left the plant site it was needed and we had
to buy it back for a lot more than it was sold for.

I have not seen it, but heard that some new cars do not even have a
spare tire now,but come with a can of Fix a Flat. Might be fine for a
nail hole, but if there is a large cut in the tire,itwill be useless.

Yes. I had to buy a real spare wheel for my car because it didn't come
with one. I take it with me on long journeys and have needed it several
times. Around town, I leave the wheel at home because a friend can bring
it to me if required. It is a nuisance that there is no storage space
for the wheel other than the luggage space. There seems to be a well for
a "space saver" wheel, that they used for storing the bottle of goop and
air compressor, but I bought a real full-size wheel so that won't fit.

I've read that the goop that they supply instead of a spare wheel will
ruin the tyre every time, and that seemed an unacceptable waste to me.
Also as you point out, the goop won't fix a really big hole.

It won't fix a cracked valve stem either -