Alexander Galkin

Default Proper drainage

While I realize that I can create a slope by adding more soil I would prefer
to make it better. Soil may dampen with time, water can sip through soil,
etc. Maybe I should add drain tile from the foundation, maybe something
else. Since I am going to do this I want to do it really for decades. So I
would like to see some online resources or books how to construct proper
slope away from the house foundation.
The lilac actually does not grow close to the main house foundation with
basement but to garage that is attached to the house. The tree really comes
as if from behind the garage slab. I really like it but if presents any
problem I will uproot it.

"Dan G" wrote in message
.. .
The grade problem is probably the result of the original fill settling.
This is normal and can take several years to finish settling. You are
correct to want to move surface water away from the foundation. The
most successful method is usually to simply add dirt to take the place
of the material that has settled. You can add it in lifts over time so
the grass will stay healthy and come up to the top of the ground.

An alternative: strip the sod, raise the grade, reinstall the sod.
An alternative: cut a valley away from the lowest point of the bad
grade if you have enough fall to take the water somewhere.

How close to the foundation is the lilac? Do you water it? Basement
foundations are not good candidates for the cute little flower beds
against the house, unless meticulous care was taken in waterproofing
(most are dampproofed) the basement and providing sub surface drainage
lower than the basement floor.

--

Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G

(remove the 7)

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in message
The soil around one side of my house has improper slope towards the

house. I
need to fix this. I want to know what's the proper way to create a

slope
away from the house to eliminate any water seepage in the basement. I
believe just putting more soil to create the slope just be the soil

itself
is not the best way to do this. I am not going to create a French

drain,
just want to fix a slope problem. I think it will be enough to

eliminate the
tiny amount of water that seeps from the side to my basement after

heavy
rains. I also have a beautiful 12' lilac growing just of my house

side. Can
it also be a problem for proper drainage? I really don't want to

uproot it
unless it constitutes a real problem for leading water to my basement.