Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham Nye Graham Nye is offline

Default Washing machine stopped working

On 2017-02-25 00:00, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 22:59, Graham Nye wrote:
Also blow into the plastic tube that attaches to the pressure switch
to check it's clear and/or blow out any gunge as Chris Hogg suggested.
Just doing this fixed a previous washing machine.

Yes I have done that and it appears ok.
Question, since the motor is out if I connect it to a power source if it
were faulty (brushes) would I be correct in assuming it would not run?
Assuming this to be the cause of the washing machine issue.

That's not a reliable test because the motor won't be under load. The
brushes might be able to conduct enough current to let the motor
turn off load but not pass the higher current needed to turn a full
drum.

As you have the motor out you can check the movement on the brushes.
If they've worn down to the point where the brushes can't move
closer to the commutator[1] then they need replacing.

[1] the copper part of the rotor they rub on.

Look on Google for replacement brushes for your motor type to see
what a new brush should look like and compare them to what you have.
There should be a relatively long carbon section often (but not always)
fixed in some form of holder. If all you have is a little stub of
carbon it's new brush time. If you're not sure you could post a
photo of your brushes[2] and the panel will give you an opinion.

[2] Not here! Put it on some other photo-sharing site and post a
link here.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk