Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Batteries make flashilight hot.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 20:47:57 -0500, micky
wrote:

I have one of thoe little 2.5" LED flashlights, that have 9 small LEDs
and use 3 AAA batteries. It's like the ones that Harbor Freight
sometimes gives away free, same size, but nicer.

The guy I bought the first one from said it would run for days on one
set of batteries, but I forgot that it was still on and i put it in my
pocket and an hour or two later, I noticed it was on because it was
warm.

It's still really bright, but if it's noticeably warm, how long can the
baterries really last? Certainly not two days. ?

I once, recently, forgot the screen was lit on my 5.5" smart phone and
only noticed because it felt warm in my pocket.

It's got a proximity sensor but I don't remember what it's supposed to
do.

I buy these at Walmart for $1 each. I use them a lot. I have left them
on overnight and they still work, but that greatly shortens the battery
life. If they are not left on for long periods of time, they last weeks
and that is being used almost daily. For a buck each, I usually buy 5 at
a time and that keep me with working flashlites for a few months. I keep
one in the car, one in the truck, one in the house and a few other
places.

Unless I can buy batteries real cheap at some dollar store, (like 8
batteries for a buck), it's not worth replacing the batteries. I just
toss them and buy more flashlights which cost $1 WITH batteries.
I have never had any of them get hot or cause any problems at all. I did
have a few with switch problems, but very few. Since I have plenty ones
with dead batteries, I just swap the batteries from one with a bad
switch to one that still works.

I have saved the LEDs from a lot of them that I toss. Not sure why, but
some day they might have a use... I guess these are just meant to be
used and disposed..... But I have replaced the batteries a few times
too.

Either way, they are 1000X better than the old flashlights I grew up
with, that had very short battery life and almost always developed
switch problems after a month or less.