Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware
micky micky is offline

Default How did my alarm code change when I never touched it

In sci.electronics.repair, on Fri, 24 Feb 2017 03:35:25 -0600,
VanguardLH wrote:

micky wrote:

DSC Power 832.

http://www.home-security-systems-ans...s-beeping.html

"... the alarm panel has detected one or more ´troubleˇ conditions.
These include things like battery trouble, ..."
and
"If your DSC home alarm is beeping due to this condition, the main panel
battery is low or failing."
and
"If you˙ve recently had a power outage, wait 24-48 hours after power is
restored. The battery may simply have discharged, and will recharge when
the electricity comes back on. If the beeping persists, the battery
probably needs to be replaced."

There is a link to:

http://www.home-security-systems-ans...m-battery.html

So there is a battery. Looks like you are supposed to add one. The
battery retains settings between power outages (but only however long
the battery can provide power).

Oh, that battery. That's meant to power the panel and the siren and
the dialer if there's a power failure. It's not meant to retain things
in memory except user-decided things like the time and which zones are
excluded. It's not meant to retain defaults. That's what makes them
defaults. . When the board comes from the factory, it's not connected
to the battery and it stays that way for weeks or months until someone
sets up the whole system**, but the contol panel doesn't forget what the
default alarm code is. **In fact, my friend who owns an alarm
company (but who is not intereted in questions like the one in my OP)
who is normally a stickler for things, agreed that I didnt' have to have
a battery to run the alarm, since outages are so rare here.

I had looked on the DSC site but the manuals I found need needed
permission to be downloaded. I have them in print but to use Find, it
helps to have digital copies. Part of your url above is written
specifically for DSC and it also linked to a place where I could dl the
exact manual that I already have. Thanks a lot