Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Where does air come from in a sealed heating system?

Ho ho. Are you suggesting some kind of battery charger effect here? Besides
if there is hydrogen then there should also be oxygen. Not only that but
hydrogen is very good at finding its way out of sealed systems.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Adam Funk
wrote:

I keep finding air in the tops of the same two radiators. This made
sense in the old vented system, because air could dissolve into the
water at the cold surface in the cistern, then come out of solution
later in the hot parts. But we have a sealed system (with a
combination boiler) now.

I'd also expect to get a bit of dissolved air (to come out later) in
the mains water when I add more to the system. But usually I bleed
the two radiators, check the pressure gauge on the boiler, & find I
don't need to add more water, but still find some air a week or two
later. Where is it coming from in that case? Just more air from the
previous top-up coming out a while later?

Is it air? Or is it hydrogen? Try setting light to it as it hisses out.

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English