Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony944 Tony944 is offline

Default Feds paid $1 billion in Social Security benefits to individuals without a SSN

What is your total SSI. and CSRS. ??????

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
Oren wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 08:25:39 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I just filed for SS on Tuesday (age 65). I get a WOPING $80 a month
starting second week next month.

Something wrong if you paid in all your working life and that's all
you're getting back . I filed at 62 (just turned 65) and mine's a
little over 1200/mo .

Nope. I had the minimum 40 qtrs to file. Under my pension I wasn't
required to pay SS, I paid into my federal pension CSRS. In '83 the
FERS system required SS deductions but I stayed with CSRS. I had a SS
offset and Medicare comes out of my SS which reduced my SS amount. $80
will pay some bill though. My pension stays the same but I get that
pesky COLA ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Service_Retirement_System

"The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) was organized in 1920 and
has provided retirement, disability, and survivor benefits for most
civilian employees in the United States federal government. Upon the
creation of a new Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) in 1987,
those newly hired after that date cannot participate in CSRS. CSRS
continues to provide retirement benefits to those eligible to receive
them.

CSRS is a defined-benefit plan, akin to a pension. Notably, though,
CSRS employees do not participate in Social Security (unless having
worked in the private sector beforehand, and then subject to
penalties).

Employees hired after 1983 are required to be covered by the Federal
Employees Retirement System (FERS), which is a three tiered retirement
system with a smaller defined benefit (pension), Social Security, and
a 401(k)-style system called the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). The
defined benefits of both the CSRS and the FERS systems are paid out of
the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, which had a
projected balance of $832 billion as of September 30, 2013."

I shoulda knowed . Dad worked CS from 1952 to 1978 (I think ir was '78)
and had CSRS . Got dhowed the door on a medical , dunno how much he drew per
month .
--
Snag