Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Outdoor timer running to fast

On 2/22/2017 7:44 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/22/2017 6:44 PM, Kenny wrote:
replying to timnels, Kenny wrote:
I don't know what sort of timer is a T103. But I have a very old (but
excellently designed) Oasis Dundee 9 Station irrigation pump controller,
which
very recently developed an issue where its digital clock was running too
fast.
About an hour later, the clock would be something like 7 minutes or so
ahead
of 'actual' time of day. My controller doesn't appear to have a 'crystal'
component on the circuit board. But it normally keeps the correct time
even
when AC power is switched off, and powered by a back-up battery. So
there must
be an oscillator circuit in my board's circuit - somewhere. The beauty
of my
particular irrigation controller is that it only has two electrolytic
capacitors in it. I changed the smaller electrolytic capacitor (a 100
microFarad one). No improvement. I then changed the larger 470
microFarad one,
which fixed the issue. As we know, due to the limits of our technology -
electrolytic capacitors are probably the number 1 cause of electronic
circuit
failures in circuits. Since my particular board had only two
capacitors, it
allowed me to sort things out fairly quickly. The interesting thing is -
the
electrolytic capacitors do not necessarily need to be bulging (or
physically
broken) when they go bad or fail. But, they often will have a bulging
top if
they've failed. So, if your timer has electrolytic capacitors in it....
check
them out.

You morons have to stop responding to 10 year old posts.

Yea but, how do you know they are 10 years old. I've just looked and
can't find a real date. Yes I know that I could go to the site shown in
the original post, but why should we have to play detective on each
post? And, using FF, how do I block all of the posts starting with
"". It didn't seem to work and blocked a whole bunch of posts that
didn't start with .