Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Modern car paint and rust

On 02/23/2017 8:29 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I knew something of the issue from designing industrial control panels
and then watching mindless UAW drones misuse them. I learned that
controls had to be not only idiot-proof but vandal-proof. Although I
had no design input on the aerospace electronics I prototyped I paid
attention to the discussions about their possible effect on cockpit
situational awareness. There was a joke circulating at the time that
the automated airliner cockpit of the future would contain a man and a
dog. The dog was trained to bite the man if he touched the controls.
The man's only task was to feed the dog.

Not only aircraft; TMI-II became something more than just a turbine trip
causing a reactor trip with the sidebar of a steam relief valve not
reclosing automagically because the latter caused an anomolous level
reading in the physically nearby pressurizer level. This was
misinterpreted by reactor operators and they subsequently turned off the
safety system HPI (high pressure injection) pumps fearing were going to
overfill the pressurizer and if that were to happen, risk
over-pressurizing the primary system itself. The incident progressed
downhill from there until a fresh shift came on and the SRO on that
shift recognized the problem and restarted HPI plus RCPs to restore
primary coolant flow and begin the recovery process.

If the original crew had done nothing but let the control and safety
systems do their job instead of intervening, the incident would have
consisted of no more than an unscheduled trip and restart once the
initiating fault in the transmission yard that was the initiating event.
(They lost connection to the grid owing to transformer failure at full
power (850 MWe) which left nowhere for the generator output to go so
that initiated the turbine trip. System was designed to be able to
handle a "full load rejection" trip, but owing to various other
conditions, runback couldn't always be fast enough so a reactor trip
could also be expected maybe half the time.)