Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jasen Betts[_2_] Jasen Betts[_2_] is offline

Default Best place for a hobbiest to buy small amounts of parts?

On 2017-02-22, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:33:12 +0000 (UTC), the renowned root
wrote:

I could not disagree more with your assertions about AliExpress. If you
receive goods which were either defective or not as represented you
can get your money back but only if you ship the items back to
the sender at your expense. On a recent $105 order with AliExpress,
the shipping cost to return the item was $48. It took weeks of
email exchanges with the sender before they were even willing
to take back the item. My experience with Amazon is the exact
opposite.

Amazon seems to police their vendors, almost to a fault. It would be
interesting to know from the vendor side how it feels to deal with a
bad buyer (eg. broke the product, tells lies, etc.)

Yeah, but they lied to me about the price, "Buy now $3 shipping"
specifically mentioning my location. I clicked the button and they
charged me $30 for shipping.

Ironically I was buying a book about fraud by big business.

Ali- rather less so and as you say the shipping cost back works in
favor of a bad seller- you *have* to use a method with tracking so not
cheap. Sometimes you can get partial (maybe half) the money back
without sending it back. 8-(

You don't have to agree to pay shipping on "faulty product" or "not as
described". If the vendor can't make an acceptable offer in the time
allotte aliexpress will take interest in the deal.