Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Is 80gms paper getting thinner?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:34:42 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 17 February 2017 19:24:10 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:06:24 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 22:33:49 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:18:45 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 18:12:22 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 10:29:23 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 13 February 2017 17:20:12 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:48:43 -0000, Judith wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 01:28:12 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 01:19:55 -0000, Judith wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:50:37 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 -0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.

Why would you actually want to count it?

To print 200 sheets of something. Despite this being the 21st century, printers are useless at counting. They tend to forget where they got up to when the cartridge runs out etc.

And ....... have you ever seen anyone do that?

Only myself.

At least that makes sense. o one else would use that method to count sheets of paper.

Far quicker than actually counting them.

yeah sure it is. Why donlt they use that method in banks then to count notes in ATMs ?

Because they need accuracy. I only need *approximately* 200 sheets.

So why count them at all , why not just guess.

Because I'd be out by a huge margin.

I can understand that what with you head butting things because you don't know how high they are.

So you can pick up a lump of paper and say "there are about 150 sheets here"?

Why do you believe a micrometer is overkill?

Because it is and they tend to only be for small measurements the jaws of my micrometer are just 50mm apart maxium so I can't get a ream of paper in there

I've got a dirt cheap micrometer (about a quid), and it measures 0.05mm to 15cm.

So why not use that.

I do.

Your 50mm = 500 sheets = 1 ream exactly, so that's fine.

except it measures 54cm and there's a few pages short

54cm?!

So is 8% accuracy OK ?

Where are you getting 8% from?

Not sure how accuratly you need to count out 200 pages
is +/- 16 pages OK

Yes.

these were £60 a relatively cheap pair,

You paid 60 times what I did!!

Yes we needed an accurate one I think ours is 0.005.

Fair enough.

a vernier caliper would be better but still overkill of course that depends on how much you spend on it. I've a cheap £20 one I tried measuring a ream of paper I measured it as anyting from about 52.5cm to 53.7 cm depending how firmly the wad of paper was squeezed, I put a ream of paper in the laser printer every so often I've carried a box of 5 reams up from the store so I know what a ream feels like and I could just as easily use a standard ruler to do it and get similar results and for a fractionn of the cost.

It's warmer today and the same ream of paper measure 54cm.

Do you counting measurement allow for gaps between pages ?

I only needed to know roughly.

--
I was explaining to my wife last night that when you die you get reincarnated but must come back as a different creature. She said I would like to come back as a cow. I said you're obviously not listening.