Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenny Kenny is offline

Default Outdoor timer running to fast

replying to timnels, Kenny wrote:
I don't know what sort of timer is a T103. But I have a very old (but
excellently designed) Oasis Dundee 9 Station irrigation pump controller, which
very recently developed an issue where its digital clock was running too fast.
About an hour later, the clock would be something like 7 minutes or so ahead
of 'actual' time of day. My controller doesn't appear to have a 'crystal'
component on the circuit board. But it normally keeps the correct time even
when AC power is switched off, and powered by a back-up battery. So there must
be an oscillator circuit in my board's circuit - somewhere. The beauty of my
particular irrigation controller is that it only has two electrolytic
capacitors in it. I changed the smaller electrolytic capacitor (a 100
microFarad one). No improvement. I then changed the larger 470 microFarad one,
which fixed the issue. As we know, due to the limits of our technology -
electrolytic capacitors are probably the number 1 cause of electronic circuit
failures in circuits. Since my particular board had only two capacitors, it
allowed me to sort things out fairly quickly. The interesting thing is - the
electrolytic capacitors do not necessarily need to be bulging (or physically
broken) when they go bad or fail. But, they often will have a bulging top if
they've failed. So, if your timer has electrolytic capacitors in it.... check
them out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...st-230136-.htm