Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Painting rusty bathroom radiator

Can you buy Red Oxide? I thought it was out due to lead content. Engenamal
is used, but I think that has to be stoved on.
I found that on an electtric oil filled radiator whatever sort of paint you
use is a terrible smell for weeks, and even with metal primer eventually
comes off, which begs the question what do they use when they are new?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon T" wrote in message
news
Been redecorating my Bathroom

The radiator has gone a little rusty around the edges, would like to rub
down and repaint.

Question is firstly, what sort of primer?

Am gonna remove the rust spots best I can with sandpaper, then maybe put
some rust removing gel on them to get them back to bare metal. However, am
not sure of the best primer to use, bearing in mind radiators get rather
warm.

Can I get away with spraying a shot of Zinc primer onto the bare spots, or
will this crack when the central heating fires up? So should I buy myself
a small tin of Red Oxide?

Next question, top coat.

I read that dedicated radiator paint isn't all its cracked up to be, and
to stick with regular oil based paints (ive seen Satinwood recommended in
several places). So, is Satinwood the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor