Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which way around?

On 22/02/17 16:46, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a Dell notebook and am trying to get a multi settings charger to power it up.

The connections with the charger reverse to allow for different polarities but the signs on the back of the box differ. The Dell is marked with a broken line under a continuous line while the charger is either negative on the outer setting or inner setting and I have to reverse two pins according to which I need.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, I would appreciate a good telling.
Like this C-
Or like this C+
With this:
____
----

What I really need is a new battery. As they were originally made in 2003 I can't see how replacement batteries can be described as new. But that is what they are being advertklised as. How come?

Modern Dell (as in last 3 years or so)?

You may find it won't charge off a "foreign" charger - mine (Latitude
E7440) needs a genuine Dell PSU to charge - a generic merely maintains
power without filling the battery.