Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default PTFEed Joints weeping

On 22/02/2017 02:04, wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 01:19:37 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2017 23:23, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 19:03:50 UTC, tabby wrote:

3 plumbing joints done with ptfe tape all leak. I mostly don't
use ptfe to seal joints. 2 of the joints are 15mm compression
tee (with one male end, one female end) onto an extension
piece, the other is extension piece onto brass threaded
ballcock. 1.5 turns of yellow/gas ptfe tape each, all neatly in
place. I admit to not being clear how the nut would seal to the
tee it's on. The one joint done with fibre washer & gloop works
fine of course, but I don't think that approach can be used
with the other joints.

I'm clearly making a basic mistake here. Did I mention I don't
like plumbing?

NT

Here's the steward of the bar in question
http://i66.tinypic.com/xoprer.jpg

Too much flammable stuff in close proximity to solder in situ. If I
use a straight compression to connect to a soldered elbow it'll be
too long, and the hand bent pipe only barely manages to be straight
enough to fit what's there now. I guess I'll need to cut the whole
area out & start afresh. Fun. Maybe I should try that tube of bodgery
first.

Alternative, straight compression on the vertical pipe to connect to a
12" section of plastic pipe. Right angled tap connector on the other end
of the plastic pipe. The plastic can then drop down, gently bend into
180deg U shape, and allow the end to come back up to the ballcock with
the RA tap connector ready to screw on. That way you don't need to be
constrained by the layout of the start and end points or need to solder
in situ.

--
Cheers,

John.