Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] indianapolismepstco@gmail.com is offline

Default Clean/repair stained porcelain sink?

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:37:51 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our porcelain-enamel kitchen sink has developed stains, especially where
the plastic "feet" of a "sink protector" have rested. I think that stuff
that has been dropped into the sink and not rinsed away immediately has
caught on those "feet" and remained there long enough to stain the
surface. I have cleaned the sink from time to time with Soft-Scrub, but
hat no longer seems effective, and now I find that the stained areas
actually feel rougher than the unstained areas.

Any suggestions how to fix this problem? Any way to seal the surface?

Perce

Got a match? Just kidding. I think as others have said, your sink's surface is now actually damaged, but I undertand sinks, tubs, etc can be reglazed. I searched on the internet and found some DYI sites regarding how to reglaze, but personally I wouldn't trust mself to do that. So I guess I'd say if your sink is worth the cost of a company coming out to refinish it, go that route. If you find that to be cost prohibitive (compared to just replacing the sink) and you're ready for a new sink anyway, I think I'd just replace the sink.