Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PTFEed Joints weeping

On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 01:19:37 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2017 23:23, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 19:03:50 UTC, tabby wrote:

3 plumbing joints done with ptfe tape all leak. I mostly don't use ptfe to seal joints. 2 of the joints are 15mm compression tee (with one male end, one female end) onto an extension piece, the other is extension piece onto brass threaded ballcock. 1.5 turns of yellow/gas ptfe tape each, all neatly in place. I admit to not being clear how the nut would seal to the tee it's on. The one joint done with fibre washer & gloop works fine of course, but I don't think that approach can be used with the other joints.

I'm clearly making a basic mistake here. Did I mention I don't like plumbing?

NT

Here's the steward of the bar in question
http://i66.tinypic.com/xoprer.jpg

Not sure you want to start from there! ;-)

It looks like you have a parallel thread BSP female on a male parallel
thread BSP coming out of the tank. That's never going to seal without
serious bodgery. The same propably goes for the other two fittings as
well alas.

I realise that now. I have a tube of serious bodgery somewhere. I don't know how the previous elbow fitting sealed, it was connected the same way, but I couldn't get it to reseal on the new ballcock.

You want a straight tap connector to 15mm compression fitting on the
tank, and two bits of copper pipe and an elbow soldered onto the stub of
pipe coming out of that Yorkshire fitting to join to it.

Too much flammable stuff in close proximity to solder in situ. If I use a straight compression to connect to a soldered elbow it'll be too long, and the hand bent pipe only barely manages to be straight enough to fit what's there now. I guess I'll need to cut the whole area out & start afresh. Fun. Maybe I should try that tube of bodgery first.

NT