Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default [OT] Where have all the VCRs gone? [UPDATE]

On 21/02/2017 19:09, NY wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/02/2017 23:58, JoeJoe wrote:
I think I know the straight answer to the question, but...

I am looking for a working PAL VCR to digitise some VHS tapes for a
friend.

As luck would have it, I binned our old VCR last year after doing the
same for our old tapes, thinking that it would not be needed any more.

I put ads on Gumtree and Freecycle a few days ago, and also searched on
eBay (for local ones), but nothing apart from a few silly-priced ones on
eBay.

I will be in the tip tomorrow and plan to speak to the guys there to see
if they happen to have any.

Failing that, any other suggestions as to where to get hold of one from?
I will only need it for approx one day.

Went to the tip again earlier today, and the guys kept a working VCR
for me as promised.

I am planning to use one of these to capture the videos:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1416077784...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but unfortunately the VCR I now have only has one output - a SCART.

I have one of these in a draw somewhe
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-Adap...IAAOSwI3RW8k-M

but the audio connections on both the SCART adapter and the capture
device are all female.

Would one of these make everything work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-3-x... VbkyKvLwQtMtw

Sorry, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to all these antique fittings€¦

LOL "antique" :-)

Yes I think that should work OK. Given that the phono lead is designed
for video as well as audio, the cable will be good enough to carry the 6
MHz video as well as the 20 kHs audio. You may find that the digitising
device has trouble with poorer VHS recordings. I bought a Hauppauge one
(supposedly good quality) but I get a lot of dot patterning and
horizontal timing jitter, which I don't get on the PCI card in my
ancient ("antique"?) XP computer that I keep just for digitising from
VHS and the Sky box.

Good point! I still have a 2003-vintage XP desktop in the attic with a
TV card that I've used before for this purpose, and kept for this reason
only.

Last time I used it was ~5 years ago when I digitised the last of our
VHS tapes, so I am not sure it still works. I'll try it first and use
the above option if the plan fails.

Thanks a lot.