Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DIY REPAIR?

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 12:39:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Thing is, the transformer does not have screws to open it and I don't know how to so I can put it back together.

Can anyone answer my questions and, perhaps, guide me along a bit?

(iFixIt.com seems to only focus on computer and phone devices.)

Thank you for reading this.

Do you have any sort of schematic for this device? And how old is it?

Here is the issue: Those sealed transformers (some are even injection-molded around the core) are not designed to be serviced, and getting access to the connections is risky. You might try cutting it open with either a Dremel-type tool (very risky) or a hot knife tool (smelly) or some other means to get to the wires - and use super-glue to replace what you remove.

Do you have any means to apply power to the moving parts from another source? Do you have a VOM to do some basic diagnosis of the transformer or moving parts? Do you see your time as worth more than $0.75 per hour? Note also that the moment you cut into anything, you void the UL/CE/CA rating which is significant only if something is really wrong.... *ZAP*, or a fire or similar.

This is a soft way of suggesting that unless the repair is obvious and involves little time or treasure, exchange massages with your significant other, and eschew the mechanics. These little toys are not designed for the long term. Relationships, on the other hand, can always use a bit of massaging! Certainly that has been my positive and pleasurable experience.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA