Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Electrical

On 02/20/2017 06:47 PM, wrote:
Os are typically on it, is it close to overloaded, etc.

A splice in a junction box is OK but I'd clean up the mess as much as
possible to keep the junction boxes to a minimum.

Maybe others here would know but I was always taught the just line up
the bare ends of the wires, inset then in a wire nut and twist until tight.

A few years ago I lost a connection due to me probably not getting the
wires lined up.

A friend who does electrical work told me he always grabs the end and
twists with a pliers and makes sure all is secure before putting on the
wire nut.

Any one here know if there is any reason not to do that?

When connecting 2 or 3 identical wires I don't pretwist. My father
was an electrician and said a properly wirenutted connection WILL end
up properly twisted and he'd never seen a wirenut come off if
installed properly that way. A wirenut applied to a pre-twistedc
connection stands a pretty good chance of falling off because the
"teeth" in the spring are not firmly embedded in the copper of the
wire. If connecting a14 and a 12 or any combination of the two,
CAREFULL pretwisting can make a better connection because if "direct
nutting" the 14 just wraps around the 12 - but the "teeth" in the
spring do still bite.

I cannot picture a situation where I'd ever have two different gauges of
wire but after that one let loose on me I've always pre-twisted
first...then after the wire nut is on, tug on it to be sure all is
secure,,,then as a final precaution, tape it all up