Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Under stair storage question

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:22:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:48:10 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:40:37 -0600, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

On 02/20/2017 08:41 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms) and shallow tread.
Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.
As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to 3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?
Envisioning pulling out (on gliders or rollers) maybe 2 feet into the room (kitchen), said pullout maybe having storage for a sack of potatoes or some larger pots and pans.
All ideas greatly appreciated!

Note: Existing door opens perpendicular to the run of the staircase. (Door is not on the end of the cavity).

Thank you,
Ivan Vegvary

I just put the Christmas ornaments at the very end and crawl in- and out once a year.

Be advised that people walking on the stairs throws of a surprising amount of dust.

Which is why the underside of out basement stairs is covered woth a
heavy vinyl table cloth, stapled to the bottom of the stairs. Keeps
all the dust off what we store there.

I've seen a piece of luan serve the same purpose.

I have tar paper covered 1/2 plywood under the 8 treads of the stairs to my deck. Stuff
underneath stays dry.