Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT charge account numbers.

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:07:06 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 11:48:22 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Is the account number of a charge account sometimes, or often, or
always, the number that appears on the card?

I have a checking account and the account number is entirely different
from the number on the card.

First you said charge account, then you switched to checking
account.

That's because the question was about charge accounts, credit cards, but
the next paragraph was about a different card and a debit card, where
the numbers.

In my experience, credit cards the account number
and the number on the card are the same. With a debit card
connected to a checking account, the numbers are different.
Which makes sense, because anyone who has you bank account
number could use it to make an electronic payment, or put it
on a fake check, etc.

That all makes sense.

I just got a new credit card on a different bank and I have to file the
rejection of arbitration notice within 30 days and, reasonably, it wants
the account number on the paper..

If this is some routine thing that you need to sign and mail
back, I'm surprised the number isn't already on the form you
have to return.

There's not even a form. They expect you to compose your own notice,
and I'll bet if you make a tiny error**, they won't honor it when the
time comes. They don't want people to reject it and that's why there
is a law that allows rejecting it.

**A possible pitfall: they refer to the Credit Card Terms and
Conditions, but the pages of that are number 1 and 2, and after that is
another heading which reads Credit Card Cardholder Agreement, and that
page is numbered at the bottom "1 out of 13:". It's 10 pages down after
that where the clause appears. I wouldn't be surprised that if I
referred only to the first one, they'd say I should have referred to the
second one, because it's not in the first one. Then I'd have to find
a printed record of their pointing me to the first one. This is pretty
far-fetched, but banks haven't been very honest lately.

I know that most courts and even more appeals courts will ignore a
discrepancy like this, and go by intent, or say that no citation is
needed in the form at all, but it's still a way to slow a plaintiff
down, and in preparing for trial, just in case. he'll have to write a
detailed brief with citations to precedent, and this takes hours and
costs money.

And the Cardholder Agreement includes 3 clauses one might want to
reject, and it seems to clearly imply that if he allows the arbitration
clause, he loses his right to a jury trial, which might make one think
that if he rejects the clause he has that right. But later it says that
if the dispute is not arbitrated, the jury trial waiver "eliminates your
right to a jury". And of couse if it is arbitrated, you can't have a
jury trial either. So why is it phrased in such a convoluted manner?
Maybe there's a good reason, one not meant to confuse customers, but I
don't know.

But it's gotten to the point where I
can't find out my own account number. It's not in the mail they send me
or on the webpage for my account.

There must be a fourth place to look but right now I can only think of
the card itself.