Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default This is going to be painful

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1702201258320.22838@darkstar. example.org...
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Mueller wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 13:14:26 -0600, Foxs Mercantile wrote:

On 2/18/2017 12:58 PM, wrote:
However, how would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that?

Hot air gun.
Heat it up until the wax runs, hold the tube and pull the guts out by
the lead.

snip

You can also use a toaster oven at the lowest setting that will melt the
wax or use a heat lamp. I have used both methods successfully.

BTW Aerovox and Cornell Dubilier are both still in business:
http://www.aerovox.com/
http://www.cde.com/

Other old time names that are still with us include:
Amphenol http://www.amphenol.com/

Amphenol sold off their older connectors to WPI, who was later bought
by 'The Cooper Group'.

Don't they make soldering guns? I seem to recall a Cooper Group bought
Weller at some point.

A company I worked for bought out a competitor and stacked all the stuff
they didn't want on a loading bay with a sign; "help yourself" - I won a big
box of Weller irons that had been taken to bits.

That kept me going a couple of decades and I had a few surplus to sell - by
the time I had to start buying new spares, Cooper Tools had taken over. It
seems the bean counters had decided that quality and reliability were an
unnecessary extravagance. The first thing I noticed was shoddy plating on
the tip where its inside the element tube, the plating peels so copper oxide
forms - it compacts so you can't remove the faulty tip without wrecking the
element.

In the end, I bought a brand new Weller TCP-1 - the stat didn't even last a
whole week. They sent a replacement no questions asked, which lasted nearly
a month - the iron was unattended when it failed and the element burned out.

The Antex XS-25 was chosen as a temporary to tide me over because it was
cheap enough to regard as a consumable - I've been using their products ever
since.