Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default three lights, two switches

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 3:37:15 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 02/18/2017 08:38 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 07:49:16 +0630, Chuck Jacobs
wrote:

I have three lights A, B, C and two switches 1 and 2. How do I wire them
so switch 1 turns on/off A and B and switch 2 turns on/off B and C?
Please note that B is controlled by both switches, kind of like a 3-way
switching. Would there be any problem if both switches are on?

The easy way is to put a fixture with 2 lamp holders in the B position
and wire one to A and the other to C.
If you are willing to run a lot of wire I imagine we can come up with
a way of doing it with one light in B

I would accomplish the same thing by using double-pole switches rather
than 2 lights at B. One pole of each switch for B, the other for A or C.

Note that neither is the same as 3-way. In one of these setups, you get
light at B if EITHER switch is on (1 OR 2).

Which doesn't give him what he wants. The B light can be
on and not responsive to the switch in one of the two locations.
It's Philo's initial idea, which as he figured out,
doesn't work. Since he has two bulbs in the B fixture,
if he can live with one bulb for each circuit, that's the
only solution I see so far that does what he wants. That's
the one that Gfre came up with.

In a 3-way, you get light
only when the switches are in DIFFERENT positions (1 XOR 2).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of
the few." -- Marie Henri Beyle (Stendhal)