Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Under stair storage question

On 2/20/2017 9:15 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 9:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 8:41 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing
old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic
bedrooms) and shallow tread.

[snip]

While this does not make use of all of that lower space, I have book
shelves built on the out side section near the floor. That could take
up to 1/3 of that space under there.

Sorry, that should have said, I have seen pictures of this. I do not
actually have this.

BUT BUT BUT. If you have a pet, that would be a nice cave if you had a
side entrance and it was sectioned off from the rest of the under stair
storage area.

I recently saw something very similar to that idea used on an episode of
HGTV's "Tiny Homes" where every square inch is used for something. Made
a great spot for a pet that was out of the way.

The other thing that I was thinking about when I read this (we're in a
single level home so I can't play along at home ) would be just a
simple wheeled cart to fill in that space with runners framed into the
area so that it would pull straight out and roll back in as needed. As
Ivan mentioned, it would be great to store bulky items.

Making it blend in might take some work but if one were to install
wainscoting along that wall, the "problem" of seams could literally
disappear.

Meanwhile, if Ivan would merely Google the following words in a simple
Google search (No quotes necessary): roll out storage beneath stairways

he will find plenty of reading material, plans and ideas.

Have fun!