Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default screwfix titan pillar drill

On 20/02/2017 12:44, FinnegaNn22 wrote:
replying to Bob Minchin, FinnegaNn22 wrote:

Where do you get the 'Toy Drill' business from?

Typically with this class of drill, its an indication that there is
limited travel in the quill, and there will be lots of slop in the
bearings on the quill - especially at full extension - so accuracy and
drilling capacity may be poor.

The table may also have more flex that you would like, and it may lack
nice features like rack an pinion height adjustment.

The throat depth may also be quite limited.

Many of the budget drills don't allow the head to be rotated easily so
that you can clear the base of the stand and hence drill stuff longer
than the pillar.

Also on many of the budget drills, the chuck has the female morse taper
socket rather than the quill, so you are prevented from using larger MT
drills direct in the quill without the chuck.

This is a 3/4 horse power motor, although the particular drill in
question is
700 watt motor - almost one horse power, so not sure what you reckon on
drilling. Three in holes in
steel maybe!!!

Power is usually less of an issue,

These machines are perfectly suitable and powerful enough for any prolonged
D.I.Y use and at this time, I have one of these in my motor car repair shop
and have had no problems whatsoever, working on and off all day long,so
please

It probably has an induction motor, and so will support a decent duty
cycle.

don't degrade these bench drills as they are perfectly adequate for
virtually all types of drilling work.

Sure, adequate is the word, so long as you can cope with the limitations
mentioned above.

--
Cheers,

John.