Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Kraus[_2_] Larry Kraus[_2_] is offline

Default Steve LaMantia

On 2/19/2017 5:16 PM, Master Woodbutcher wrote:
Any old timers left on The Wreck, and any woodworker who ever heard of Scary Sharp(TM) will know of Steve LaMantia. He was the author of the well known piece, and he had an ubiquitous presence here back in the '90s.

I got a note today from his sister that he had passed away this morning. I checked his Facebook page (we were FB friends) as well as hers, and it appears to be true.

Too young. And too talented a scribe to not be remembered.

I've long had an original Scary Sharp(TM) version on my website and for those who aren't familiar and wish to see it (and about it), here's the URL to my paean:
http://www.WoodButcher.net/scary.shtml

LRod
Master Woodbutcher and Seasoned Termite

Sorry to hear that.

Steve and Scary Sharp(TM) were responsible for my learning to use my
grandad's #3, because once I knew how to make it sharp, I could actually
make it work. Which lead to many hours of relaxation in the shop using
(and re-sharpening) the many planes & chisels that I accumulated once I
learned to appreciate the value of a sharp edge.

I think I'll go see if I can count a few nose hairs...