View Single Post
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Wood filler recommendation for exterior use

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 7:03:43 PM UTC-6, Doug wrote:

Thank you Robert! Considering the time that has passed and the number of folks you
correspond with, you may have forgotten the several exchanges we had in this forum
regarding best practices and materials for finishing a red oak model display stand I built
for my dad. While it is an indoor only item - it looks as good as the day I finished it,
which indicates I properly followed your very specific instructions.

Thanks for the kind words. I kind of remember that... but more importantly glad it worked out well. I am sure it looks great.

I find experimenting
and learning from one's mistakes valuable - although in that instance was under the gun
schedule wise and could not afford to mess it up and start over - back to the belt sander
as I recall you commented.

There are times where experimenting is a complete waste of time. I too, like to find out things for myself, work up my own protocols and ideas for my work. But at this juncture in my life with many more years behind me than in front of me, I am much more happy to take instruction, then practice techniques based on practical instruction until I am satisfied. My youthful zeal for reinventing the wheel is gone.

I got a big laugh at my own expense over the belt sander comment. What tact! I am glad you took it as it was meant, not in a bad way.

Robert