Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to replace shelves in kitchen cabinets.

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:25:00 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:14:08 PM UTC-5, JR wrote:
replying to mm, JR wrote:
My shelves are not sagging but the their smooth finish and front edges are
deteriorated, can I use a laminate or a veneer over it just to make it look
better and smooth.

What are they made of? What are they covered with? What do you mean the
front edges have "deteriorated"?

If they are rounded or chipped, i.e. the face is no longer square with the
top, you'll have trouble using any kind of laminate or veneer because it won't
have a solid backing.

You could build them up and re-square the edge or use a trim router and round
them off beyond the chips and wear. Then you could skim coat, paint and line
the shelves to protect them.

Knowing what they are made of and what is wrong with them would help.

Going by experience they are most likely melamine coated termite
spit. Most likely adjustable/removeable too - in which case it is
relatively simple to replace them.
Solid lumber capped baltic ply makes the best replacement shelves.