Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Stijn De Jong[_2_] Stijn De Jong[_2_] is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 19:48:00 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread15374.html

I dialed #878# and got:
"Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your call cannot be completed as
dialed..."

I got a similar message, but for T-Mobile (your call cannot be completed as
dialed, or something like that). But I didn't know if it was just T-Mobile
or not.

Thanks for running that test for Verizon.

There is a way to tell which sector antenna you're connected to from the
cell id. Also, the newer Android APIs now seem to expose the frequency
bands:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/bkph/cel...r_inside.shtml

Nice article. I think there is a way of extracting the sector but I
don't know what it might be and am too lazy to work it out right now.
My leaky roof and irate customers come first.

Speaking of leaky roofs, I can't believe the rain we've been having!
I am sick and tired of rain, mudslides, & road closures near the summit!
We're getting a windy storm tomorrow too! (Brace yourself!).

I have completed my initial tests on the Android free apps though.
I know I'm done with the first phase when I've uninstalled all the apps
that irk me.

I'm left with these four, each of which does something nice that the others
don't do as well.
https://i.cubeupload.com/vKLAu8.jpg

While some of these apps do wifi scanning, I keep a separate folder for the
best freeware wifi scanners, as shown below:
https://i.cubeupload.com/Z1qvPZ.jpg

If folks want to save time, you can't go wrong loading just one or more of
those four best freeware apps (in my tests anyway) for cellular debugging.

Network Cell Info Lite, version 3.30:
http://i.cubeupload.com/HoKTav.jpg
http://wilysis.com/networkcellinfo
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.cellinfolite

Netmonitor, version 1.2.15:
https://i.cubeupload.com/TfDJaS.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ene.netmonitor

MIT CellTracker:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZHepme.jpg
http://people.csail.mit.edu/bkph/CellTracker

GSM Signal Monitoring, version 4.02:
http://i.cubeupload.com/V9O0Gg.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...almonitorin g

You'll also want this, but I put it in my WiFi folder instead:
WiGle WiFi Wardriving (which also reports cellular towers):
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZPva3O.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.wigleandroid

Unfortunately, the freeware version of Network Signal Info crashed a lot
so I uninstalled it, but if it works for you, it's also very good.
Network Signal Info, version 3.63.01:
http://i.cubeupload.com/2zK8Ys.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.telnet

If you want log files, you are limited to these three, in order:
a. NetMonitor logs are the most customizable
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZAcsok.jpg
b. GSM Signal Monitoring has great csv logs
http://i.cubeupload.com/69bgcS.jpg
b. CellTracker logs manually (by pressing the blue arrows)
http://i.cubeupload.com/FhY2UX.jpg

As always, I hope these detailed summaries and research and tests help
others now, and in the future. Of course, if you have improvements, please
share!