Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Crown Stoves - Repair Parts

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
s.com...
On Feb 18, 2017, wrote
(in ):

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 7:50:05 PM UTC-5, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a big old 6-burner Crown (model H3005702 845-242KG0E-10) natural
gas stove that my wife just loves, but is in need of some repair.
Specifically, the spark igniters are not firing on all pistons, but the
burners work just fine if lit with a match.

Crown has been out of business for decades now.

Does anyone know where to buy parts, or retro-fit parts? For instance,
I bet the same spark igniters were used on numerous makes and models of
stove, so there is likely something that will fit.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Hi Joe,

Do you still have this stove? Does it work? Would you be willing to part with
it? Would your wife??

I'd be interested in anything you can tell me about keeping it working. My
Mom's is a similar model. It should really be replaced, but we can't find
anything that has the same features (two ovens large enough to fit her pans)
and that fit in that spot in the kitchen.

I'd appreciate any hints or tricks!

-- mmd

Deckman,

My Crown does work, and is used every day. The clock/timer wore out years
ago, and was disconnected to prevent an annoying clicking sound.

Those Crown stoves are beasts straight from the 1950s. No electronics, so
they degrade slowly.

As for the failing igniters, the leftmost two burners rarely light on their
own, so we use a handheld spark igniter. A friend of my wife also has a
Crown, and she uses a handheld igniter for all burners. I can hear a spark,
but it is somewhere elsewhere than at the problem burners. I've tried
tracking the spark sound with the stove top off, but have not yet found the
problem. Probably need to poke around with a stethoscope slowly, but have not
had the time. When found, this will be easily fixed.

What problems are you having? Have you found a suitable source of the spark
igniters et al? All my spark igniters seem to work in that one always hears a
spark, even if the burner doesn't light, but they won't last forever. I
did have one burner theat didn't work or make a spark sound. When I tok the
top off the stove and looked, I found that the control wire had worked its
way off the switch body on the burner control valve. Reconnected the wire
(push-on spade terminal) and the burner would light.

Do you have or know of any service documentation?

As for a possible sale, I can talk to the wife. Where do you live? (I'm in
the Boston area.) Replacing the stove is by itself a big deal, and crating
and shipping the old stove well enough to survive shipping is also likely to
be a pretty big deal.

Joe Gwinn

Have you tried these guys?
http://antiquevintageappliances.com/