Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Robert
m wrote:

I have a junction box in my wall of an older home. here's where it's
interesting...main line goes to middle room light and out into all outlets
And lights on the next bedroom and into the bathroom to run everything. I'm
pretty sure these rooms are supposed to be ok their own breakers, correct?
Especially a bathroom. My other question is this, I found that there was about
a foot of wire added on to what looks like game up short to connect all the
power to lines. Very poorly connected. I managed to run out and get the Ideal
Wire connectors and connect everything correctly but I also know that this
can't stay permanent. I only did this to try and figure out what went to what
in this mess. Would it be better to just run new romex or is it ok to have all
these connectors in the box. I'm counting 6 conductors in one box but also
that extra foot of romex so everything reached. I'm going to try to post a pic
or two if someone's can even start to explain what the best route to go is. I
really don't want to have to trace the lines all the way back to the box but I
will if I have to.

There is really no limit to the number of outlets on a general
lighting circuit but the code implies that it should serve no more
than 600 sq/ft for a 15a and 800 sq/ft for a 20a based on 3VA per
sq/ft.
Of course that is the minimum standard and the average of all of the
circuits. For the last 20 years or so the bathroom should be on a
separate 20a and the laundry are should have another dedicated 20a.
The code has required 2 20a small appliance circuits for more like 40
years.
As for box fill (the number of wires in there) you add the 14 ga up at
2 cu/in each and the 12ga at 2.25 cu/in each. Then add another 2x
cu/in for each device depending on the size of the wires in the box.
(14ga wires makes the device worth 4 cu/in)
Lots of boxes in older homes are over filled.
If you have empty slots in the panel, running a new romex and
splitting this up is not a horrible idea but the question is, "are you
popping breakers?"