Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Doorway Construction Questions

"Sonny" wrote in message

Sonny - since you didn't note where you are, here are tables that let you
know how your structure should be framed if you have snow loads on the
2nd story roof. Note too, that it takes all kinds of conditions into
consideration so I would think you would easily find what you need in the
form.

http://www.southernpine.com/app/uploads/SS_7-12L.pdf

Thanks Robert. No snow, here, in Lafayette, La. I finally got a call
back from MetroCode. A 6X6 header is okay for my increased span, and I
thought to use the 6X12 header on the exterior wall.... And since I have
to make a new header for the interior wall, I've made a 6X10.

For the scenario, there was no way to saw many of the ply nails, as John
said. I was able to saw the nails near the edges. Once the framing was
exposed, I surmised, installing a larger header might not be so difficult,
after all, hence going with a 6X10 replacement for the interior.

I've moved one king stud over and installed the jack stud.... left in pic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
My rough space is not quite large enough for the door frame, unless I
settle with using 3/8" door jams. I'll have to move the other king & jack
stud, on the light switch & outlet side, which means more nail cutting and
ply trimming. Hope to get that done today.

Sonny

The photo is helpful to see the constraints... I'm late in seeing this but
it looks like moving the other studs was (is?) your best move.

RE sawing the nails, I use a 12" blade for that kind of work and bend it as
needed to reach the nails. But even doing that I can see where it would be
tough to reach some of the nails due to the stud spacing.

Please do post some more photos as things progress!

John