Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On 2/18/17 12:09 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/18/2017 11:31 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/17/2017 1:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/17/2017 10:57 AM, Jack wrote:

Engineering is always a compromise.

Perhaps a few $Billion in fines would help them compromise on the side
of a safe braking system, rather than $billions for fudging on MPG...

Don't take this like I am ganging up on you. ;~)

A billion dollar fine for an auto manufacturer for a brake problem that
I was never aware of when I was in that business, service manager of an
Oldsmobile dealer. And this may actually be more common in recent years
but up until 1995 not really a thing except in isolated cases.

Did they even have anti-lock brakes when you were in the business. My
2001 GMC truck was the first vehicle I owned with ABS brakes, and they
were a clear safety hazard as they failed routinely.

I do not think so, when I worked for the dealership, cehicles having
anti lock brakes. But my 97 Chevy Silverado did and they worked as
advertised on numerous occasions. But that is not to say that there was
no possibility of a problem. Had this been an inherent problem or
happening often there certainly would have been a campaign/recall.

I have a 98 Dodge Ram (oxymoron, I know 8^), ABS equipped (rear axle
only). Since a pickup can have a widely varying load on the rear tires,
the ABS helped may rear brakes actually do some work. The truck has
been reliable with the notable exception of the rear axle speed sensor
failing. I would have never known except for the ABS dash light. It sure
puckered my wallet when I saw it, knowing how much ABS repairs can cost,
but a few bucks for a new sensor (screws into the top of the
differential housing) and the peasants rejoiced.

I am a former gear head, rebuilt everything, and loved doing it, but
since getting old and despising crawling under things now, I only change
my own oil. Everything else gets put on hold until summer time.
-BR