Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default strange goings on at bank auto-teller. OT

wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:48:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
misterroy wrote:
She was told if no-one had taken the money it would be sucked back into
the machine.

Really? Never heard that one before. Can anyone confirm it happens?

Happened to me many years ago , must have been shortly after banks
started reciprical arrangements with each other. I was with Nat West
and I think it was a Midland machine . It was laid out differently to
the NW one and the cash slot wasn't in the position I was used to with
the cash silently appearing in a position I was not looking at,
possibly Sun glare was making it difficult to see as well.
Just as I noticed the notes sitting there they were drawn back in .
Enquiring within the branch they said once the incident could the.
verified the amount would be credited back .
No idea how they did it, perhaps a receipt gets dropped internally
into the hopper the returned notes get dropped in when it occurs.

I would have thought that it's easy to detect whether any of the wad of
notes has been removed, and if the wad is intact they can credit the money
without any human intervention. The difficulty is if *some* of the notes are
returned, because you manage to grab the top note(s) and the rest get sucked
back in. Then they need human intervention (with a receipt slip or something
similar) to say "there should be £x here, but some notes were taken so check
how much was returned". At least then they don't have to manually check
every return, only the partial ones.