Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 02:07:16 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:52:24 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong wrote:

Q: Which app do you use on iOS or Android to figure out all the cellular
towers and signal strengths of the cellular signal (CDMA or GSM) in your
area?

This is a question and initial observation for Jeff Liebermann.

Why me?

Does a cellular booster propagate the original cell tower identification?
(Or does the boosted signal have its own cell tower identification number?)

By "booster" are you referring to a bi-directional amplifier like
products from Wilson:
http://www.wilsonpro.com/residential-cell-phone-signal-boosters
or Wi-Ex (zBoost)?
https://www.signalboosters.com/zboost-signal-boosters
I so, they repeat exactly the original signals both incoming and
outgoing. What you hear is the tower ID. The device does not
generate any new data or belch a new tower ID.

However, if you're referring to a Femtocell or similar internet
connected microcellular device, the answer is yes, they do have their
own unique ID.

My initial assumption (which needs to be tested) is two fold:
a. It seems the router-connected micro tower has its own unique cell id.

Yep.

b. It seems the booster may simply propagate the "real" cell tower cell id.

Yep.

Does that make sense?

Yep.

How far away do you think the strongest (or nearest) T-mobile cell
tower is located from your test location? Any possibility that one of
your neighbors might have a T-mobile microcell box that you're
hearing? I'm suspicious of the rather strong tower signal.

Back of the envelope calculation:
+27dBm Estimated transmit power from the cell site
+10dB My guess of the panel antenna gain
-53dBm Receive signal level from your test.

Path loss = 27 + 10 + 53 = 90dB
Calculating the distance where the path loss would be -90dB at 700MHz:
http://www.proxim.com/products/knowledge-center/calculations/calculations-free-space-loss
is about 0.7 miles or about 4,000 ft. The cell tower would need to be
rather close to your location for that to work. Like I said, I'm
suspicious of what you're measuring.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D