Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MT 5-1/2 ???

Also in some books.

I have MT-4, MT-2 C-5 R-8 and various interfaces on two lathes and a
small mill. Then comes the Collets :-)

Martin

On 2/18/2017 4:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:03:05 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Overall I am pretty happy with my Chinese made Precision mathews PM1440LBE
lathe. However there are some little things that just make me go,
"Hmmmmm...."

The 1440 mostly gets used for quick and dirty single setup one off projects.
This means most of the time the 3 jaw scroll chuck is the most efficent.
Sometimes I have to dial stuff in to the exisitng part and the 4 jaw gets
swapped on. So far I haven't needed the faceplae, but I can envision
several types of jobs where I would use it.

Recently my success and happiness with the little 3C hand wheel closer on
the small 8.5x18 HF lathe got me thinking that there would be jobs that
would be handy to do with a 5C closer on the 1440.

I recently picked of a lever style collet closer. The price was cheap
enough I don't mind using it as a learning tool, or even scrapping it after
learning how to make one if necessary. Now to figure out how to setup a
spindle adapter. I've found MT5 to 5C adapters. The factory claims the
spindle bore is MT6, but it also came with a "MT6" to MT4 adapter so I can
turn between centers if I so choose. I figured a cheap import MT6 to MT5
adapter would atleast get me in the right ballpark to start figuring stuff
out.

I didn't even have to put the import adapter in the spindle to see it didn't
match up. Its a different taper angle than the adapter that came with the
lathe. So...

I dropped Precision Mathews an email and asked what the heck the spindle
bore really is. This is their reply.

************
"Hi Bob, They are listed from the factory as MT6. But our other machines
are listed the same way, and its actually an MT 5-1/2 So that might be
it."
************

Ok.... I had not heard of half sizes before and a cursory search doesn't
bring them up.

.... grumble grumble grumble ....

Now for the fun part. The lever closer did come with a 5C adapter. I don't
know what the outside is, but... It doesn't fit in a MT4 or an MT5 sleeve.
Is it an MT4-1/2?

LOL.

A little more sarching and I discover Morse Tapers are all different angles?
What? Dang-it!

I didn't realize how many until I saw this just now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper
I googled "morse taper".

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle