Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Stijn De Jong[_2_] Stijn De Jong[_2_] is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:52:24 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong wrote:

Q: Which app do you use on iOS or Android to figure out all the cellular
towers and signal strengths of the cellular signal (CDMA or GSM) in your
area?

This is a question and initial observation for Jeff Liebermann.

QUESTION:
Does a cellular booster propagate the original cell tower identification?
(Or does the boosted signal have its own cell tower identification number?)

OBSERVATION:
1. I can range my cellular signal strength by almost half a million times:
http://i.cubeupload.com/zN4Dkb.jpg

2. I ran an experiment, starting with a stead very good signal strength:
http://i.cubeupload.com/TPLLXF.jpg

3. Then I unplugged, one by one, the two micro towers in my house:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ciKH3h.jpg

Interestingly, when I unplugged the router-connected micro tower, I could
see the unique cell tower ID change immediately to a set of cell towers
that are known to be within a few miles of me.

Yet, when I unplugged the cellular booster, the signal dropped, but the
cell towers simply went to a much larger set of cell towers, some of which
are known to be ten or fifteen miles away. However, I could still see the
set of towers in the prior step in the makeup.

My initial assumption (which needs to be tested) is two fold:
a. It seems the router-connected micro tower has its own unique cell id.
b. It seems the booster may simply propagate the "real" cell tower cell id.

Does that make sense?