Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Hum Sound in House

On 2/18/2017 1:34 PM, Kelly Ann Conway wrote:

Curiously, if that is the correct word for it, I, too, hear a curious
humming sound in my home. It starts around six o'clock nearly every
evening. It resembles an electric motor...the hum of an electric
motor, to be more exact. I walk around the house and the noise seems
to be coming for everywhere. It's as loud in the front of the house
as it is in the back. Maybe I got wax in my ears.....but if that were
the case, wouldn't I be hearing less of the noise?

Please help me figure this one out.

Shut all your breakers off. Does the hum go away?

Turn them back on, one at a time, checking for hum.

I know of a similar situation. Turned out to be a resonance from a
factory about 1/4 mile away with an air inlet outside. Mostly
noticeable at night and nearly drove the guy nuts. You heard it in his
house, but not outside.