Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On 2/16/2017 1:57 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:17:16 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/14/2017 9:07 PM,
wrote:

I was told that the brake fluid should be replaced on shedule to keep
the brake lines from rotting out.

First I ever heard of that.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it attracts moisture -and the moisture
can cause corrosion inside the lines and cyls. The water tends to end
up in the low spots. On newer vehicles where the master reservoirs are
sealed much better thasn in the past (with rubber bellows etc) it is a
LITTLE less critical (3 years rather than 2 often recommended). The
new synthetic brake fluids stand up a wee bit better too.

It appears to me, from looking at rusted brake lines that they are not
rusting from the inside out, but from the outside in. This would make
sense as even if Brake fluid is hygroscopic, air would be needed to get
them to rust. Shouldn't be too much air in brake lines. Also, someone
told me they painted their brake lines with Z-bart stuff, and never had
one rust out since doing that...

My guess is Stainless lines would not rust. Not sure how much pressure
is in a brake line, but shouldn't be all that much. Looking around
seems about a max of 2000psi, not much and easily accommodated with even
thin wall stainless tubing.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com