Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Carlos E. R. Carlos E. R. is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signalstrength?

On 2017-02-16 21:57, Stijn De Jong wrote:
The one potentially nice thing that OpenSignal provided on Android was a
compass-like pointer toward the tower it's connected to; however, that
pointer doesn't seem even remotely aligned with where I know that tower to
be, so, I'm not sure if that compass-like pointer is fluff or if there is a
major reflection of radio waves going on off of someone's solar panel array
or expansive windows overlooking the valley below.

There is no way the phone can determine the location of the tower from
the signal,

Sure they can. The signal include Latitude and Longitude for the tower.

That's not the signal.

That's decoding the data on it, and reading it. Then finding via GPS the
exact location of the terminal, then calculating the direction of the tower.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.