Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 18:26:37 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 2/16/2017 10:39 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 19:18:00 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 2/16/2017 11:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/14/2017 8:12 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2/13/2017 11:14 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

Not true with my exhaust system. The stainless steel exhaust has
never
once been cleaned and it is now 16+ years old, and in the rust belt.
Surely GM could have used the same stuff in the brake lines, which is
magnitudes more important than the exhaust system as far as safety
goes.

So you never go through a car wash?

Never, at least not with this truck.

And what pressure does your exhaust have to
withstand? What pressure do your brake lines
have to withstand?

The break lines have no problem withstanding pressure, until they RUST!

sigh

Never occurs to you that the stresses something
needs to withstand affect the choice of alloy to
be used, does it?

Of course, which is exactly why brake lines should be made from
stainless steel and not from crap that starts to rust 3 minutes after
installation.

As for the rest, why did you buy a GM product to
begin with?

At the time I didn't know I would be risking my life on substandard GM
breaking systems.

Chrysler does the same, steel, my BIL was driving his PU truck and went
to hit the brakes.... NOTHING.. the lines blew from rust.

Not sure how the Japanese cars treat their brake components.
They fail too. The lines look perfect, but where they pass through
the clips that hold them to the chassis they rust through. A squirt of
"fluid film" at each clip twice a year will make them last forever.
Fuel lines too

Thy must not be made of stainless, as we now know how that rusts.

I had to look up "Fluid Film", which appears to
be a water repellant waxy lubricant. The clips
are a typical environment for crevice corrosion
and something like Fluid Film would potentially
be a good countermeasure.

Not just potentially - has been for decades.
It is a lanolin based thixotropic lubricant.
Being thixotropic it stays in place, but works itself into any spot
where there is movement between parts. It contains NO SOLVENTS so it
never really dries. It has been used in industry for many years and
has been the "go to" spray lubricant for fussy mechanics for close to
20 years. It has replaced spray lubriplate in all the high end shops
around here - and on the Canadian East Coast it is used quite
extensively as and underbody anti-rust treatment on vehicles. It is
replacing RustChek on a lot of farms for preventing rust on stored
equipment (like plow moldbords etc)