View Single Post
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Wood filler recommendation for exterior use

Thank you Robert! Considering the time that has passed and the number of folks you
correspond with, you may have forgotten the several exchanges we had in this forum
regarding best practices and materials for finishing a red oak model display stand I built
for my dad. While it is an indoor only item - it looks as good as the day I finished it,
which indicates I properly followed your very specific instructions. I find experimenting
and learning from one's mistakes valuable - although in that instance was under the gun
schedule wise and could not afford to mess it up and start over - back to the belt sander
as I recall you commented.

Doug

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 8:02:49 PM UTC-6, Doug wrote:
dadiOH,

Thank you for the reply. I want to take the opportunioty to Thank You agian for the
recommendations, guidance, and confidence you provided regarding refinishing my mahagony
front door with Z Spar Flagship varnish. That was the best, most valuable input I have
ever recevied for a home improvement project. The door still looks great almost 4 years
later although a touch here and there may be beneficial.

Doug

"dadiOH" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
Need to fill a split in an exterior board - what brand(s) of wood filler
perform well in
this application after priming and painting?

Thanks.

Doug

Splits can be iffy. I wouldn't use any rigid filler, I'd use a caulk, then
prime and paint.

Doug -

You will rarely, if ever, see dadiOH give bad advice. I do all manner of repair and finishing for a living and have to say his advice is usually spot on.

As was his thoughts on splits; wood moves on its own based on temps. Hard fillers aren't the ticket as they have no elasticity, and if the wood moves the patch material separates from the perimeter of the patch from repeated movement.

Epoxies, resins and their cousins are fine for interior use as you are usually repairing a piece that is acclimated to inside humidity from AC/furnace controls, so humidity doesn't fluctuate wildly. Nor do the temps. Most of the time they aren't your optimal choice for exterior use.

Again, as he said, your best bet for splits, cracks wind shake, is a good caulk. To do all my repair sealing, I use the ALEX 40 year with silicone that is available at the home stores. It hold paint very well, has great adhesion, shrinks only a tiny bit, tools well and has something like 10% elasticity when cured.

Robert