Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Mystery pool of water in the bathroom.

Rednadnerb wrote:
My neighbour has a pool of water that mysteriously appears on her
bathroom floor at random times usually once or twice a week.
It appears on the floor in the 18" space between the toilet and the
bath and appears even when she is not in the flat.
I strongly suspect that it is coming over the top of the pan as I
have found the lip to be wet (she is in a 1st floor flat so is this
even likely?)
It has been going on for ages, I have brilliantly suggested a time
lapse camera but she won't have that in her bathroom. I have also
suggested putting one of those blue things in the cistern. Any other
ideas as to how to get to the bottom of the mystery pool of water?

Thanks

Brendan.

I've seen this in houses where condensation is a problem, steam condenses on
the outside of the cistern (as it's full of cold water) and drips off
forming a puddle. She probably needs an extractor fan or tell her to open a
window after showering.

If condensation isn't a problem, it's probably coming from the flush pipe,
which often just pushes into the toilet via a rubber seal, these sometimes
fail.

Either way, the cistern is the culprit, forget the bath, basin or a broken
toilet pan.