Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Stijn De Jong[_2_] Stijn De Jong[_2_] is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:25:27 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

There is no way the phone can determine the location of the tower from
the signal, the antenna is non-directional. It has to be determined from
a map of locations. Maybe the tower gives that info, I don't know.

That non-directional antenna explanation makes a ton of sense!
Thank you for being one of the few scientifically sound people here!

That explains my observation that the antenna location is not even close to
the direction that OpenSignal points to. It's essentially fluff.

That's pretty much the last straw on this silly OpenSignal app.
The more I look at this lousy OpenSignal app, the less I like it.

I had already put it as my last choice on Android since it was basically
far less functional than every other choice, but I kept it on the list
simply because it was the only tool I found that was also on iOS.

So OpenSignal was my only 1:1 comparison with iOS.

Like all the apps listed, OpenSignal was first written for Android, so
you'd think that when they finally ported the app to iOS that it would work
better.

It turns out OpenSignal stinks on iOS even worse than it stinks on Android.

If you're on iOS, you're stuck with it, but if you're on Android, my
recommendation is to ditch OpenSignal in favor of Jeff's number one app
(which is my #2 app becasuse I'm using teh freeware while Jeff is using the
Pro version) and my number one or number two apps (as listed in the op).

01 Network Cell Info Lite, version 3.30:
http://i.cubeupload.com/HoKTav.jpg
http://wilysis.com/networkcellinfo
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.cellinfolite

02 Network Signal Info, version 3.63.01:
http://i.cubeupload.com/2zK8Ys.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.telnet

If you want a log of the cell towers that your phone connected to, then the
app to use is my number 4 app:

04 Netmonitor, version 1.2.15:
http://i.cubeupload.com/TfDJaS.jpg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ene.netmonitor

You won't be able to get logging or cell tower identification from iOS
unfortunately, so we should probably drop the iOS newsgroup from this
discussion as it's not relevant to them.