Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Tapping wood threads..

On 2/16/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:43:15 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/14/2017 10:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2017 9:04 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
.. just got a *lot* more expensive.

The taps:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/pr...ategory/tools/

The announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6p5SSUSW4

The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

http://www.pdfbooksworld.com/image/c...68-390x550.jpg

I hope they sell a million sets.

Go ahead and buy them, I'll continue to use regular metal taps, which
work quite well. I never spin a shank, like he (I'll bet falsely claimed
he did) . The hex shank is a negative. I would rather have a square for
use in regular tap wrench if I decided to hand tap. The shanks are nice
and long. and it looks like a quality tap. But I can buy the highest
quality long reach metal taps for much less.
So I'm sure they'll sell, just not to me.

Me neither. It was relatively recently in my woodworking "career" that
I discovered how strong wood could hold up with regular machine screw
threads. I had read about it, but didn't fully believe it until I tried
it. I think they often work better than threaded inserts they sell at
the borgs.

How can that be? Threaded inserts are, well, threaded into the wood,
after all.

(Posted at end of numerous lines of extraneous text to conform to
ignorance level of previous poster[s])

Threaded inserts are generally very short, with a few course threads,
making them unstable and weak, while a tapped hole is the length of the
screw and very stable. It's also easy to tap a hole in wood, just using
a small tail-less drill and the tap.

And before you go all Krwnotreal on me, I said "I think" they "often"
work better, not that no one should ever use a threaded insert...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com