Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Savageduck[_2_] Savageduck[_2_] is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On 2017-02-16 20:57:54 +0000, Stijn De Jong said:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:54:17 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

Works on iPhone also

In my first post I placed OpenSignal last on the list of Android apps
simply because OpenSignal mostly seemed to be a lookup to Internet
databases, which isn't what I'm after.

I have OpenSignal on my iPhone and it located two Verizon towers in
the vicinity of my home out at Lake Nacimiento. It also provides usage
and signal data. I manages to do all I need of it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/File%20Feb%2016%2C%2014%2010%2045.png

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opensignal-speed-test-3g-4g/id598298030?mt=8

just installed it, but as soon as the opening black-text-on-white
screen (I guess I need to give some sort of permission) appears it
blinks out and the 'OpenSignal has stopped..." error message pops up.

I have not had any issues running OpenSignal.

I emailed the OpenSignal people, who want to know specifics...

I really want to know WHERE the cell towers are. T-Mobile has
****-poor coverage in out-of-the-way places and rather than driving
around in circles I'd like to at least head toward a tower. Will this
do what I want?

I can only tell you that while Verizon has good coverage with at least
two towers where I live, T-Mobile is mediocre and shows no towers, and
both AT&T and Sprint are poor to non-existant, also showing no local
towers. This leads me to believe that T-Mobile, At&T, and Sprint are
actually roaming in my location, using the Verizon towers.
--
Regards,

Savageduck