Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Stijn De Jong Stijn De Jong is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 20:18:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

I don't know if a phone can connect to two towers at once
though.

Can it?

it can and does.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 20:18:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

I don't know if a phone can connect to two towers at once
though.

Can it?

it can and does.

Thanks.

Figuring out what these apps report is a bit confusing for the apps that
report more than one tower.

The bulk of the apps only report the one tower they're connected to at the
moment. They report that tower with a variety of (supposedly unique)
numbers.

For example, using Network Signal Info, at this moment, I have:
1. T-Mobile (both the net operator and the sim operator)
2. HSPA * 14.4 Mbps (sometimes it reports "EDGE * 220kbps")
3. -103dBm * 4ASU
4. 5-digit Cell ID, short
5. 9-digit Cell ID, long
6. 3-letter mobile network code
7. 3-letter mobile country code
8. WLAN IP address
9. WiFi IP address

Slowly I'm correlating that blizzard of numbers with the ones reported by
the two apps that report multiple cell towers.

I think the only difference between the apps that report one number and the
ones that list multiple numbers is logging.

Is there an easy way, with freeware, to self-video the screen?