Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Stijn De Jong Stijn De Jong is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 14:14:49 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

I have OpenSignal on my iPhone and it located two Verizon towers in
the vicinity of my home out at Lake Nacimiento. It also provides usage
and signal data. I manages to do all I need of it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/File%20Feb%2016%2C%2014%2010%2045.png
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opensignal-speed-test-3g-4g/id598298030?mt=8

I think, as Jeff Liebermann noted, that the apps only query the phone to
figure out what signal strengths and tower iD information the phone has.

So that seems to be why all the apps can only see one tower at a time, and,
that one tower is only the tower of the current cellular provider.

If I popped in an AT&T SIM card, then I'd see the one AT&T tower I'm
connected to. I don't know if a phone can connect to two towers at once
though.

Can it?