Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Carlos E. R. Carlos E. R. is offline

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signalstrength?

On 2017-02-16 21:44, Stijn De Jong wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:27:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Q: Does that app show you *all* the towers that your phone can see
(or does it only show the one tower that your phone is connected to)?

Nope. Just one tower.

I think you found the app (NetMonitor) that shows "something" about more
towers; so I will dig further into what it is trying to tell me.

I can mention one app that apparently finds all towers in the vicinity,
but the only info it says about them is an identifier code.

It is "MyProfiles". The goal of the app is to adjust phone settings
according to rules. A rule can trigger on a variety of things, and one
of them is location. The location can be done by GPS, but the app can
instead do it based on which towers it can detect. You can tell it to
trigger "home" if it sees the five towers near home.

This is not the tool you need, but proves that other towers can be
found. The app lists all towers found, and timestamps them. Apparently
only one is active, but somehow it displays how many are within range,
and in another window lists them.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.